Monday, January 03, 2005

Winter School in Lliria

Winter School in Lliria

I've just spent a few days in Lliria at Winter school. Here are some pictures that I took before my camera battery died.
Once again I was the vegetarian cook. The vegetarians loved the food, and so did the carnivores who got to try it. At the beginning of the school there were 3 vegetarians registered. By the 3rd day, we had a big problem, as there were 21 people claiming to be vegetarians! In Spain! Go figure! So for the next school we're going to have to be more strict about preregistration of meal choice. We had only prepared for about 10. I was actually asked to prepare the food for the whole school next time, which means about 150 people. I think I am going to have to say no to that. It's one thing preparing meals for 10 to 30 people.... 150 people, 2 meals a day for a week (breakfast is continental buffet)? I think not.
Anyway, back to the Winter school. It started last Wednesday, I got there on Monday. We did some shopping, hung out and prepared. At sometime in those initial days of preparation, we got word that Mr. Dunbar, a member of the Universal House of Justice, was coming on Friday and Saturday. I was ecstatic. When I was in Haifa, Mr. Dunbar used to(and still does, and has for years) give a class for the youth every Thursday. Topics varied from studies of different Writings of Shoghi Effendi, including the Foreword to God Passes By, the Dispensation of Bahá'u'lláh, and others, to personal stories of his travels and adventures, to question and answer sessions, and pretty much everything. I always felt that during his classes he was answering questions I had, without me even having to ask them!
During this Winter school, because I was cooking, I couldn't attend the sessions, but I did attend all of Mr. Dunbar's talks. Again, I felt like he was addressing things I was wondering about. The other cool thing was that it was in Spanish and I was able to understand every word.
Mr. Dunbar's class is one of the things I really miss about Haifa, and it was wonderful to have a taste of it again.


No comments: