Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Zapatos (y ropas)

I don't even know if that is the right word. I'm learning Spanish by
osmosis. That means I'm trying not to have to look up words. When I
don't understand something I have someone explain it to me in Spanish
and not English, and I try to learn by looking at things around me.
Hence, I think the word Zapatos means shoes, but I'm not sure until I
use it and see how it works. At any rate.... I think shoes say a lot
about people. I had a conversation a couple of months ago about guys
and clothes and shoes. Someone was of the opinion that guys should be
well-dressed and shod, otherwise they aren't worth the effort. I was
of the opinion that what a guy wears is really not important to me at
all. I prefer someone who is wearing the basics and replaces them when
needed, as opposed to a guy with a closet full of clothes and shoes of
various brand names and cutting edge style. I'm not that kind of
person. That guy needs someone who appreciates high-maintenance and
that's surely not me. What made me think of this? I bought a pair of
flip flops today in a discount store. They were 5 euros. I'm very
happy with them. The straps are orange and the sole of my foot is
multicoloured stripes. I like the idea of having a pattern on the part
of the shoe that no one sees when I'm wearing it. I take off my shoes
a lot, and I like that they look nice when they're off my foot.
My thoughts are unduly preoccupied with guys, and for now I'm not
going to try and do anything about it.
A few days ago, a guy I was just getting to know came and showed me
the shoes he was wearing. They were a strange corduroy type shoe with
a leather wing tip. I would not be surprised if they were the kind of
shoe that Bert wears on Sesame Street. They were beige and brown.
Somehow, though, he managed to pull the look off. He wore them happily
and confidently. So he shoes me the shoes and says "guess how much I
paid for these!" and so I guessed and eventually guessed the right
figure, I can't remember now, but somewhere about 20 euros. He was so
excited about his shoes. We then moved on to his funky striped shirt
in various shades of brown and beige, a perfect match for the vintage
style shoes, the shirt was about the same price. He was so proud of
his outfit. I like him for that. I feel the same way when I find a
bargain. Not so much that the clothing needs to be gorgeous and
outstanding, but that the price is right for it. He was happy and he
wore it well.
I think it's good that not everyone is like that. But I think those of
us who are, should be left alone to do our own shopping.
I went home for 2 months to be with my parents. My mom and I are very
different, and as a gift for me in the 2 months that I was there, she
bought a bunch of fabric of my choosing, and had some clothing made
for me. I got to design the stuff myself so that at least it was
somewhat my style. She felt that my wardrobe was inadequate. Left on
my own, I would have spent the money on a couple of pairs of khakis,
some secondhand jeans to cut and make shorts, and a bunch of t-shirts
direct from the seconds shop at the factory, looking carefully to make
sure the fault that caused the price to be reduced wasn't obvious.
For the past week and the next week I'm going to be here at the summer
school, and every day I look at my clothes and realise that I have
nothing appropriate for volunteering at a summer school. Tailored
summer pants and beautiful tops are not what I need. I really want a
comfy pair of cut off jeans and some more Eilat pants, and about 6
t-shirts. Then I'd be good to go. I'm going camping next week. I have
nothing to wear.

No comments: