Thursday, August 12, 2004

Blogs, Gitanos and lost clothing.

I like Mara's Blog.
Violetta's is my favourite blog in the world.
I'm at the Gitano Summer school and I spent the last couple of hours in a conversation with some Gitano women who arrived early. There will be about 90-100 people here this weekend, surpassing the initial estimates of 50-60. This is the first time this is being done. THe fact that there will be a whole summer school dedicated to addressing the needs of the Gitano people is absolutely wonderful. My interest in it was sparked when I had a conversation with Antonio (a 25 year old Gitano guy who I first saw performing at the Terrace opening in 2001) a couple of weeks ago about the Gitanos here. I immediately noticed some parallels with black people in the west. A similar experience of slavery, having their own culture removed, banned and stigmatized and the resulting alternative forms of expression and struggle to remove themselves from the situation connects us. It would be interesting if there could be some kind of meeting of minds between Baha'i communities of Blacks in diaspora and Gitanos. I am really looking forward to the rest of the weekend.
Gerard from France also returned to be a volunteer for this. It turns out, Sebastien left behind a polo shirt and 3 pairs of underwear. How does one leave underwear behind? It kind of reminds me of the shoes you see by the side of the road and wonder how someone actually lost a shoe, and what was on their foot when they took the next step and why didn't they realise that they were missing a shoe....

2 comments:

Krisia said...

Vi can I post a link to your blog?
Mara I didn't ask because I hope you don't mind, but if you do I'll take it out...

Anonymous said...

No problemo, darling. Mara
p.s. the previous comment of "I love you!!" ... that's from me, too. Just in case you were worried :-)