Tuesday, March 22, 2005

It's only just begun...

Interviews... jobs, decisions....
For the past month I have been constantly writing lesson plans,
praying for the end of the course and the end of the long tedious
mapping out of every step a half-hour or 40-minute or 60-minute class
will take. They assured us that lesson planning will never again be
like it was on the course. Once we start working, a simple overview of
the lesson will suffice. They promised. But they forgot to mention one
thing... every interview I have been on, every application I have
filled in, has asked for at least one lesson plan. The latest job has
asked me for 3 one-hour plans. This is insane! I mean, theoretically,
I could download and adapt one off the Internet, so what are they
testing really? I think I've got the answer. They want you to prove
that you really are interested in the job.... So far they haven't been
too challenging. But right now I've hit a wall. For this well-paying
job that I really want, that will allow me to stay in Bilbao in my own
place and have a lot of free time, one of the 3 lesson plans is
teaching a businessperson the subjunctive in English. OK. Let's look
at this. In Spanish they have a whole set of stuff dealing with
subjunctive. it's a mood, with 6 tenses of its own. All the verbs have
6 conjugations for the subjunctive. It's a big thing. In English, we
hardly use it, and when we do, it's even easier than using a verb
normally. So yeah, I can teach it. But really, unless a person insited
on learning it, I probably wouldn't include it in a syllabus. Why are
the Spanish so preoccupied with it? If I were them, I would be glad to
be rid of it. (in that sentence 'were' is the subjunctive form). So,
since this employer demands that I prove my ability to plan a lesson
(another subjunctive... 'that I prove'), I shall....
Bye bye.

No comments: