Friday, February 25, 2005

Swimming in a CELTA Sea

Well, I'm one week into my course in teaching English as a second
language, and I am enjoying it immensely. They definitely threw us in
the deep end, with an "orientation meeting" on friday last week, which
was actally to teach us the icebreaker games that we would be teaching
our students on Monday, our first teaching day, which also happened to
be the first day of the course. Of course, my big question was "who
are these suckers that have agreed to learn English from teacher
trainees?". I learned very quickly that, no they are not crazy
masochists, but actually a group of 14 wonderful adult students, who
jumped at the opportunity to get english lessons catered to their
level for 2 hours every day for a month at a hugely discounted
rate.... I mean huge. They pay about the same as most language schools
charge for 1 or 2 of the same lessons. It even includes some lessons
from tutors - our teachers who actually know what they are doing!
One of the first things that was done was that we were put into TP
groups (no, not toothpaste or toilet paper, but Teaching Practice).
Unfortunately, our group is missing one person, as Christopher the
mountain-climber was a no-show for the course. I am in a group with
Kate, Amanda, Caspar and Nives. The five of us spend a lot of time
working together, as we teach the same class, and are together for the
teaching and feedback. We don't teach in groups, but rather each of us
is respnsible for a 30- or 40-minute portion of the 2-hour class.
Our mornings are occupied with seminars and videos, followed by a
feedback session from the teaching practice the day before. Then
lunch, and the afternoon is spent teaching, reviewing how it went, and
preparing for the next day. So far so good.... must go. More to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO KRISIA!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us updated on your teaching! And photos of Barca when you have a chance!
LOTS OF LOVE! -V.

Anonymous said...

Krisia, I sorely missed your abilities in the Arts Cafe this year... (apparently they wanted to keep prices down ... quality suffered a bit!)

But the Arts Show was awesome this year! I think Loic only got to go for like 30 minutes 'cause he was on shift :-( Hopefully next year! By the way, he's a great guy ... must take after his bro' ;-) - M & M

Anonymous said...

I want to meet this great Loic guy I keep hearing about! Krisia! Mademoiselle in a sea of teaching, how are you doing? M and M's comment reminded me of your brilliant tour de force at last year's art cafe. It was so wonderful. I think I sat in shock, yummm.

V