Thursday, July 01, 2004

The Rest of London

On Tuesday we had our concert at Acton Town Hall in London.
As expected, attendance was low. There were about 200 people there.
With the tube strike on and the streets crowded with people using
above-ground transportation, it wasn't surprising.
The concert, however, went very well. We sang about 12 songs with a
short intermission about halfway. The spirit within the choir was
amazing. We had had a really good rehearsal that morning, and we were
really ready to perform. There were some little istakes during the
performance, but nothing so bad that the audience would notice. I was
surprised (though I guess I shouldn't have been) at how the audience
really wasn't getting into it, I mean, after all, it's gospel music
right? But at intermission we went out and talked with them. I saw my
friend Laura, who I had been staying with,, and she was also saying
that she wanted to get up and clap and dance but since no one was even
moving, she felt uncomfortable. I told her to do it if she felt.
The song I did a sol on was about 3 songs from the end, and it's the
first of 3 songs in a gospel medley, which is a really really upbeat,
dancing in the aisles clapping kinda music. It's the kind of thing
where even if you don't dance, you'.ll find yourself moving. Every
time we did it in practice, we ended up standing up and clapping and
moving and getting into it. Needless to say, when I was doing my
little solo (I sing "Come on everybody, let's..." and the choir sings
"Praise the Lord!" twice, and then we all sing "Praise His Holy Name!"
and we do that whole thing 3 times, then I rejoin the choir), so I was
so tired of looking out at a cadaverous audience, I prompted them to
clap along, then waved them to stand. Laura took the cue and jumped up
and before long everyone was dancing :o)
Adrienne Ewing-Roush (who sings a lot of the female solos on the We
Have Come to Sing Praises cd) sang her solo later on in the medley and
she was so dynamic! Everyone got right into it!
At the end of the performance, we reprise the last song and go into
the audience singing. It was such a great way to end, because by then
everyone is on their feet, the choir is mixing with the audience, the
audience is singing along... It was really really nice.
I am completely blown away by the spirit that is created when we sing
together. I knew it would be really cool singing spirituals and gospel
songs, but I didn't know it would be like this. I didn't grown up in
the A.M.E. or any of the churches with strong musical roots. My
parents were both Anglican and when I went to church with my granny,
it was always boring anglican stuff. I had heard about the other ones
and passed by them but never went. I can see how this music can make
you so receptive to the promptings of the spirit, or pretty much
anything that you experience during or immediately after it! During
rehearsals, we have to be constantly reminded not to sing at full oice
and strain ourselves. We are supposed to rehearse sitting down so we
don't get tired but sometimes, the music takes over, and before you
know it everyone is on their feet clapping and dancing, really really
feeling the music, jamming, ad-libbing, it's soooooo wonderful! We
have been moved to tears often as a group - just overwhelmed by it!
Also the fact that there are non-Baha'is in the group makes it really
really special. Joyce, our director is not a Baha'i. She has this
really amazing ability to get what is needed out of each choir member
and obviously knows what she is doing!
I really look forward to the day when I can go to a Feast or Holy Day
and this kind of music is being sung and this kind of experience is
being felt by the people who are taking part in it. When we read the
quotes on music at devotions (which we have before every rehearsal,
carefully planned and chosen readings and prayers) it seems obvious
that this should be included as the music in our Baha'i repertoire
because it does exactly those things that music is supposed to do.
We started the first rehearsal as strangers, but just singing these
songs together has bonded us in a way that I never imagined. I may not
remember people's names, but I feel so close to them because we shared
this.
I won't go on about this.... but it has been great.

1 comment:

V said...

Hey Krisia! FANTASTIC! This is SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to read more!!!!!!!!!

I love you so much! I miss you!!!